RSS; Its Working and Benefits
The word syndicate may not be that enticing to our ears but there is one type of syndicate that is enjoyed and embraced by the cyber community. Really Simple Syndication or RSS is a very popular, simple yet efficient method of links distribution direct to your website. It may not make you a millionaire just like Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, but this may be your stepping stone in acquiring the necessary number of hits you need in a day that will make your website popular worldwide.
How does RSS work?
RSS works as an information sifter. Once you have published a new web page, you can enlist it in your RSS file. RSS will then transport this to every RSS reader in the same category on their web page. On your end, you will also receive similar web pages with information according to the categories enlisted in your RSS. These categories may include weather, scientific innovations, gadgets, fashion, stock market and several other topics which may be of high interest to you.
Benefits of RSS Feeds:
- It keeps you updated with the latest information written in the cyber world. The cyber world is one of the most active communities in the world. Its content changes every second and with trillions of users worldwide, you would always want to be the first one to know of these latest updates.
- It is one of the fastest and most efficient ways to receive information. It takes only thirty seconds to thirty minutes for the information to arrive in our web page. At times, the travel time of information is so fast that you hardly notice that there was any time lag.
- It is a very efficient time-saver. An RSS feeds only sends information which is related in the list of categories you have chosen. It saves you valuable time which is usually wasted when you try using several types of search engines just to look for the perfect information you may need to update your blog.
- It is one of the best ways to increase your blog popularity. Since it is vital for any blog writers that their blog stands-out in the crowd, RSS feeds is a ‘must’ for them. It provides free services and efficiently performs its task of exposing your blog to millions of online viewers.
- It is an efficient tool even for businessmen. The stock market is always on the move. Businessmen who wish to gain the best out of their money but would rather do it on their own without the assistance of bookers will find that RSS feeds is the best solution to their worries. It quickly sends changes in currency ratings from different countries and gives you the perfect opportunity to select the right time to buy a particular currency.
How to use RSS Feeds:
If you are well convinced that using RSS Feeds is definitely the right path you should take in the cyber world, then here are a few guidelines on how to efficiently use this feeds.
1. Choose your RSS reader.
There are different types of RSS reader in the cyber world which can help you follow your desired web site, news, updates and more. Some of them are as follows:
- Google Reader
It is considered as one of the simplest and user-friendly RSS News Feed Reader. It contains a very flexible labeling system which makes sorting a breeze.
- RSS Bandit
It contains virtual folders and specific synchronization abilities which makes browsing easier than ever before.
- Omea Reader
It contains workspaces, annotations, categories and search folders which provides you smooth reading experience.
- Sharp Reader
If you are strict to organizing then this may be the perfect RSS News Feed Reader for you. It definitely has a way of logically organizing your blogs and news for you to easily follow them, when the need arises.
- Mozilla Thunderbird
This is hitting many birds with one stone. It is a secure and fully functional RSS feed reader and email client which allows you to throw away unnecessary junk while handling your emails according to your required style and design.
2. Install your selected RSS Feed Reader
After choosing the type of RSS Feed Reader to use, it comes to installing it in your computer, steps of which are as follows:
- Click on the “Free Download” message or icon which is found in the web page of the RSS Feed Reader which you have chosen.
- Carefully follow the prompt instructions which will appear on your screen.
- Proceed and save your selected RSS Feed Reader on your computer.
- You will learn that you have successfully installed the RSS Feed Reader on your computer if you see a user screen to begin Opportunity Modification subscriptions that allows you to set-up feed items.
3. After you have successfully installed an RSS Feed Reader to use, you can now click the small RSS icon which is located near the feed that you want. If you do not see a link then it may be displayed using an XML code.
4. Copy the web address or URL of your desired feed on your web browser.
5. Paste this URL into the RSS Feeder section which reads “ADD New Channel”.
6. Soon you will enjoy regular feed updates from this particular web page.