Android is a mobile operating system owned by Google. Android Inc. was the former owner. Google bought Android in 2005 and unveiled it in 2007. It named all the versions on the name of desserts. Here’s a journey to all the Android versions released till now:
Initial release date: April 27, 2009. Version- 1.5
- It includes features like on-screen keyboard and supports Bluetooth
- Customizable home screen and compatibility of the home screen with widgets
- Introduction of live folders for viewing data quickly.
- Video recording and sharing abilities via email, MMS, etc.
Initial release date: September 15, 2009. Version: 1.6
- Introduction of battery usage indicator to run a check on battery consuming applications
- Faster camera experience
- Introduction of Text to speech engines that reads out the written text.
- Enhanced User Interface than Cupcake
- Supported CDMA smartphones and bigger screen size devices
Initial release date: October 26, 2009. Version – 2.0
- More user-friendly interface.
- Google Search bar displayed at the top and introduced live wallpapers.
- Introduction of speech to text
- Improved google maps and typing speed on the virtual keyboard.
- Browser UI introduced with thumbnail and double tap zoom features.
Initial release date: May 20, 2010. Latest release date: November 21, 2010. Version: 2.2 to 2.2.3
- The prominent features include the easier management of wi-fi hotspot and USB tethering
- Improvement in speed, memory, and performance
- Supports numeric and alphanumeric characters and Android cloud to device managing service
Initial release date: December 6, 2010. Latest release date: September 21, 2011. Version- 2.3
- Supports extra-large screens and resolutions
- An improved and more enhanced user interface
- Introduction of multiple cameras, one at the rear and one at front
- Effective management of power consuming applications
- Introduction of new download manager
Initial release date: February 22, 2011. Latest release date: February 15, 2014. Version: 3.0
- Support for the multicore processor
- Addition of system bar which runs along the bottom of the screen
- Addition of action bar at the top of the screen
- Improvements in security as it supported password and complex characters.
- Redesigned keyboard for easier texting in tablets
- Improvements in browse as it introduced bookmark and history
- Replacement of browser windows by tabs
Android Ice-cream Sandwich
Initial release date: October 19, 2011. Latest release date: June 6, 2012. Versions: from 4.0 to 4.0.4
- Introduction of new system font designed for high-resolution screens
- Screenshot capturing feature by holding down power button along with volume down button
- Redesigned camera with features like face detection, panorama mode, and camcorder mode
- Support for temperature and humidity sensors and also, virtual private network VPN APIs
Initial release date: July 13, 2012. Latest release date: October 7, 2013. Version- 4.1 to 4.3.1
- Redesigned keyboard with text prediction feature for faster typing
- Introduction of Bluetooth smart ready feature in Android 4.3
- Resizable widget for a better user interface
- App ops feature to deny permission to apps in android 4.3
- Introduction of the notification bar
Initial release date: October 31, 2013. Latest release date: July 7, 2014. Version: 4.4
- Runs responsively even on a low memory device as low as 512 MB of RAM
- Activation of Google now just by saying “Ok Google.”
- Introduction of immersive mode which shows only the currently opened app
- Support for cloud storage
Initial release date: November 12, 2014. Latest release date: April 21, 2015. Versions: from 5.0 to 5.1.1
- Introduction of do not disturb feature
- Multiple users on the same device by guest login feature
- Improvement in security with the encryption of data
- The appearance of app notifications even on the lock screen
Initial Release Date: October 5, 2015. Latest release date: October 3, 2017. Versions: 6.0 to 6.0.1
- Introduction of “Google now on tap” feature, appearing on the home screen
- Apps asked for permissions to access the camera, contacts, locations, etc.
- Efficient battery management with the addition of battery saver feature Introduction of App standby feature
Initial release date: August 22, 2016. Latest release date: December 5, 2017. Versions: from 7.0 to 7.1.2
- Initial release date: August 22, 2016
- Support for split screen display
- Addition of third party quick setting tiles on the device
- Introduction of data saver mode which lowers your mobile data usage by preventing the apps using data in the background
Initial release date: August 21, 2017. Latest release date: August 24, 2018. Version: 8.0 to 8.1.0
- Introduction of “picture in picture” feature which will shrink a video to a little window just by tapping on the home button
- Introduction of notification channels which helps you to prioritize notifications
- Addition of smart text selection feature
Initial release date: August 24, 2018.
- Replacement of three navigation buttons by new gesture navigation
- Enhance security features.
- Change in screenshot shortcut. Now it can be taken from the power menu.