N/APosted on - 10/26/2011
Is it possible to rename my Active Directory domain? If so, how can I do that? And also, can I get the AD Users and Computers tool without having to boost up to a domain controller? Can you site some ideas? Thank you.
Renaming my Active Directory Domain
It is very much possible to rename an Active desktop domain using the domain rename process. You can also use it to change the structure of the trees in your forest. Note that a domain rename affects every domain controller in the forest. Domain renaming should be done in a step by step basis allowing every step to complete before moving to another step. This is a general domain renaming process:-
1. Prepare a list of domains before beginning in the process, avoiding any name conflicts.
2. Generate a script that will contain instructions for the rename in the forest.
3 Verify the readiness of every structure to rename.
4. Execute the renaming instructions.
6. At this point the group policy should be fixed updating on the metadata
7. Clean up all domain renames.
I hope this works for you.