N/APosted on - 01/12/2012
I am wondering what could be wrong with my network permissions. I am using Windows XP SP2 operating system on my computer (MyPC). I have a folder (MyFolder) on it that I am sharing with “everyone” giving them full security permissions as users and administrators with full control. I tested the access using another computer and got a message saying that the shared folder (\MyPC\MyFolder) cannot be accessed and that I might not have permission to open this shared folder.
This message also came up: Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Please help me figure out what’s wrong here. Thanks.
It is necessary to check up:
1) The cable Is connected
2) To Check up network options, is configured the network interface
3) Whether to Check up on tab safety is permissions for the given user on a folder (reading, record)
First of all please check the network Level permission that you have accessed to your computer from another PC or not. Please check with the "net view /ALL" command and verify your share is visible or not. Second of all please goto security Tab of your shared folder and verify that you provide Read permission to 'everyone". If everyone not present then add everyone from Edit button and then add button and type everyone in the textbox , then check names and add necessary permission to everyone. Hope this will resolve your concern.
It is possible that permission of files are different from the parent folder. These hold true if following conditions are met.
1. Using MOVE command at a command prompt to transfer file on the folder from a folder with the same drive which has different permissions.
2. Using script to transfer the file on the folder from a folder of the same drive that has different permission.
3. Data files are on the hard disk before you installed Win XP.
4. You might have changed a permission for a file while SIMPLE FILE SHARING had been turned off.
Please follow steps below to enable Simple File Sharing, this will most likely resolve your issue.
Start> My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab>Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)