N/APosted on - 10/04/2011
I am currently trying to reinstall Steam. The installation goes great until it attempt to update. When doing this it only gets to 27%. After reaching 27%, it stops and gives me an error message that reads:
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 “Access is denied.”
Does anyone know why it won’t finish updating?
Trouble Re-installing Steam- Access is Denied?
You can try this solution
1. Remove/Uninstall any old versions of Steam.
2. Download Steam client.
3. Download PrcView – its a freeware utility that displays running processes.
4. Run PrcView.exe. You will see a list of running processes. Keep it somewhere visible, so you can monitor and click on it.
5. Run Steam.exe
6. You will see Steam.exe listed in Process Viewer as a running process.
7. Watch it closely.
8. Wait for SteamTmp.exe to launch. When you see this launch, immediately Kill the Steam.exe manually.
9. SteamTmp.exe will close, and will continue running again as Steam.exe (a new Steam.exe not the one you killed in Step 8).
10. Continue updating as you normally do. Close Process Viewer.
11. Try running Steam. Everything should be good to go!