N/APosted on - 10/04/2011
Which RAID is better, RAID 0 or RAID 5
RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Independent Disks". It is the technology that create a group of several hard disks to increase performance.
RAID0 provides the facility of "Striping" which means data stores across multiple disks. Due to the Striping, Performance of Disks increases because Blocks are in stripped. RAID0 has limit of minimum 2 hard disks. The disadvantages of RAID0 are;
1. If one hard disk Fails, the data will lost contained on whole array.
2. RAID0 has no redundancy (Duplication), No Mirror, No Backup.
3. RAID0 may not use in critical systems.
RAID1 is also known as Disk Mirroring. Means data in one disk is mirrored on other disk. we can say it backup of data. if one hard disk fails, lost data can be recovered by mirror disk (Backup) Disk. RAID1 provides Reliability. It Supports minimum 2 hard disks. The Disadvantages of RAID1 are;
1. If You have two hard disks of 500GB in RAID1 then you only get 500GB space.
2. No parity and no stripping.
While in RAID5, blocks are striped and parity is also distributed. Parity contains the stored data. It checks the error if any. RAID5 supports 3 hard disks. Performance is Good because blocks are striped. Redundancy is also Good because Parity is distributed. It is used for DB storage that is heavily read oriented.