N/APosted on - 02/23/2015
I have purchased a new MacBook pro with Yosemite. I spent many hours transferring files from my Windows PC to it. I tried to make some changes to some of the folders and I knew that my disk utility was damaged. I'm really frustrated at the moment. How can I fix this problem?
What to do when disk utility is damaged?
Damaged disks may crash or hang repair utilities.
Here is how you can repair your damaged disks that do not show up with Disk utility and Disk warriors.
1. Download Disk Arbitrator. Open it and click “Activated-Block amounts”. This displays the damaged disks by repair utilities. It also prevents it from crashing such utilities.
2. Connect the disk that is damaged.
3. The damaged disk will show up after opening the disk utility. This time it shouldn’t crash the repair utility.
4. Uncheck the activated box. This deactivates Disk Arbitrator.
5. Repair utility now handles the damaged disk.
6. Run Disk Utility.
7. The utility will now repair the disk or creates a preview disk.
This allows you to copy and backup your disk, reformatting and restoring too.