N/APosted on - 10/14/2013
I was trying to update SQL Server and I got the error shown below.
SQL Server setup failure
SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:
A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair for instance 'MSSQLSEVER' during configuration for features [SQL_Replication_core_Inst,MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB2494096), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed."
Error Code 0x084B20001
SQL Server setup was unsuccessful
To fix a failed installation of SQL Server from the Installation Center follow this steps:
1. First of all, launch the SQL Server Setup program (setup.exe) from SQL Server installation media.
2. Then after prerequisites & system verification, the Setup program will show the SQL Server Installation Center page.
3. After that Click “Maintenance” in the left-hand navigation range, & then click “Repair” to start the repair process.
Note: If the Installation Center was launched using the Start Menu, you will require to provide the place of the installation media at this time.
4. Setup support rule & file routines will run to guarantee that your method has prerequisites installed & that the PC passes Setup validation rules. Then Click “OK” or “Install” to continue.
5. On the Select Instance page, choice the instance to repair>> click “Next” to continue.
6. The repair procedures will run to validate the process. To continue, click “Next”.
7. The Ready to Repair page point out that the operation is prepared to proceed. To continue, click “Repair”.
8. The Repair Progress page displays the status of the repair process. The Complete page shows that the operation is finished.
To repair a failed installation of SQL Server you can also use Command Prompt
Run the following command at a command prompt:
Setup.exe /q /ACTION=Repair /INSTANCENAME=instancename