How can i set modem speed in linux

Asked By 0 points N/A Posted on -
qa-featured

Hi guys, i have a huawei modem e160 and i wanted to maximize its bandwidth – both upload and download, on my linux machine (ubuntu 14.04). i have have already changed the port speed using setserial and im looking for any other adjustments i can make to achieve more speeds and thus more bandwidth 

SHARE
Answered By 563055 points N/A #164830

How can i set modem speed in linux

qa-featured

I guess like any other internet users, you also want to speed up your internet connection. I’ve already done it on my computer with Microsoft Windows. In Microsoft Windows, by default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent [20%] of the bandwidth of a connection. This means, only 80 percent [80%] of your total bandwidth is used and the remaining 20 percent acts as a reserve.

By setting the “Bandwidth limit” to zero [0], this allows the operating system to use your full bandwidth. In Linux Ubuntu, there is also a way to speed up your internet. Though I’m not sure if it is really working unlike with Microsoft Windows, you can try it to see the difference.

Before you begin, backup the file “sysctl.conf” located in “/etc/sysctl.conf”. Since the process requires modifying the file, it is better to create a backup in case something goes wrong. You can immediately restore the original file if the result is unpleasant. Supposedly, this method will boost your internet connection up to 200 percent [200%].

To begin, open and edit the file “sysctl.conf” located in “/etc/sysctl.conf” and add the following at the end of the file:

net.core.rmem_default = 524288
net.core.rmem_max = 524288
net.core.wmem_default = 524288
net.core.wmem_max = 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 524288 524288 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
net.ipv4.route.flush = 1

Once finished, save the file. Next, execute the following command as root in the terminal: # sysctl –p. Before running the command, backup “/proc/sys/net” and “/proc/sys/ipv4”. This is just to make sure you can restore the settings or the connection in case you are not happy with the result.

Login/Register to Answer

Related Questions