N/APosted on - 02/05/2013
I would like to donate my old computer to charity but would like to format the HD first. My HD is a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA. Can I permanently wipe out all the files with a hard drive formatter military standard software? Any good one out there?
Are there any Hard drive formatter military standard?
There are different tools to permanently format your hard disk which is known as high level formatting. You can format it with any of these tools:
1. Darik's Boot and Nuke
5. Disk Wipe
These are the steps to format using Darik's Boot and Nuke:-
1. Download this software and burn it on CD.
2. Now when you are ready to format restart your system and keep tapping F12 key.
3. Now at BIOS screen, select to boot from CD/DVD drive now you will see this screen.
4. Hit enter.
5. Press Space when the arrow is pointing at the disk you want to wipe.
6. Press F10 to start.
7. Wait until you see a black screen saying "All selected disks have been wiped".
Hope it will be helpful.