E-paper technology refers to “electronic paper” or “intelligent paper”. These are electronic displays of information which took the place of the traditional ink and paper. The electronic deeds are more comfortable to read and have a wider viewing angle than the ordinary paper. The electronic paper technology is the display of digital versions of books, newspapers, and magazines. It may include digital books, electronic exhibits, timetables, electronic instructions and much more.
The electronic paper technology is a new trend in the modern information technology sector. The emergence of electronic paper is remarkable. Many companies have used and are still using this trend to catch a good number of profits, for example, kindle, Kobo e-reader to name a few. Mobile industry also used this technology in the form of Motorola fone. The electronic paper technology has been widely used and is still in use for many e-newspapers, e-novels and books, status displays and many more.
There is another form of this new trend, that is, the digital signage, which can be found in our ordinary course of the day to day activities, such as, digital videos, images, data displayed digitally in restaurants, bars, etc. it is a neoteric approach to a digital era. The electronic paper or intelligent paper technology is a progressive innovation in the field of digitalization and growing pace for the IT sector in the world economies.
The new trend is bringing life to the favorite pieces of literature of people, by impersonating the impression of the ordinary ink and paper. The e-paper or the e-ink technology is soon assumed to replace paper in many aspects, and it will lead to a paperless world. The world is at the age of modernization and is shifting from old traditional norms to a much brighter digital world, and the e-paper technology is a bridge to the desired paperless world. It will reduce the burden of bulk production of paper and will do well to the society. The electronic literature is also called the smart paper, and many times it is referred to as radio paper.
History of E-paper
Nicholas K. Sheridon is the father of e-paper. Nicholas worked on research on e-paper with Xerox 35 years ago. The team of the researchers invented the first pillar for the e-paper technology named as Gyricon while conducting the research. The concept of a paperless workplace was first given by Xerox in the early 70’s.
The company than intended to develop an electronic paper which can replace the traditional papers and ink. But it was not very easy to enter the IT market; it took years for the company to enter the market. The massive downfall of this technology was because of its cost. But, now this technology is being bought and accepted by some of the companies and is spreading widely from place to place.
In the 1990’s, a person named Joseph Jacobson invented another e-paper, called the microcapsules and in 1997, Jacobson came into a partnership with Philips Company. In 2005, Philips disposed of its primary e-paper. In the present era, the e-paper products are widely available to all people and have become a real mass market.
Advantages of E-Pape
The electronic paper or smart paper has some merits and benefits for the economies of the world.
- The smart paper is a durable and reliable technological advancement.
- It is highly creative and can store a valuable amount of literature.
- The new technology is simple to use and attractive in reading.
- It is convenient, as it can be conveniently carried to every nook and corner of the world.
- The smart paper utilizes less power and hence, saves the cost of generating power.
- The electronic papers are flexible to use.
- The electronic paper technology will lead to a paperless world.
- It is adopted as an attractive tool for advertising.
- The electronic paper has a paper like readability.
- Clarity in reading is also one of the major advantages of the smart papers.
- The e-papers like kindle come with a thin and flexible display, easy to read.
Disadvantages of E-Paper
“A coin has two faces” The e-papers have some disadvantages as well.
- The high cost of the smart papers proves to be the chief disadvantage in its way to profits.
- Half of the population in developing countries is not acquainted of the subsistence of such an innovation, which poses to be a drawback for the companies.
- Since the emergence of this new technology, there has been a high competition in the market, which results in uncertainty to many companies.
- The e-paper technology is a bit complex to use.
- The major or we can say that the supreme risk to a smart paper is the threat of piracy.
- It has a very subjacent refresh rate.
- Some of the electronic papers carry a low switching speed.
The modern day world is very dynamic, and the technology keeps on changing, as such, the smart paper technology has been used since 1990’s until today, and it is growing widely day by day. Companies are opting for paperless offices and encouraging the use of e-papers. The companies like kindle are flowering remarkably. People are shifting from traditional reading habits to modern e-paper technologies. They prefer reading novels in their electronic paper products. The electronic mode of reading is prospering at a rapid speed and soon it will take the place of traditional paper and ink.