N/APosted on - 09/06/2016
I happened to open a corrupted worksheet on Microsoft Excel. Upon opening, it detected the corruption and tried starting File Recovery mode automatically, but failed in its repeated attempts to repair the workbook. Please tell me what I can do. Thanks in advance.
Efficient repair of corrupt MS Excel files
If the File Recovery mode isn’t starting for a corrupt workbook, there is one manual process you can use to initiate recovery, but first, check if disk errors or network errors are preventing the workbook from opening, by moving it to a different hard disk drive/local disk before trying any of the recovery options mentioned below:
1. Click File and then Open.
2. Browse onto the folder containing the corrupted workbook.
3. On the drop-down arrow next to the Open button, click on Open and Repair.
4. Click Repair, which is the most effective. However, if even this fails to recover data from your worksheet, click on Extract Data. This will help you extract cell-values, numerical, and formulae from the corrupted workbook.
5. You can also try third-party software solutions that are available online along with ready-made tutorials, to try to recovery of corrupt workbook.
Next time onwards, make sure you are saving a backup copy of your workbook or at least keep creating a recovery file for the same, more frequently.