N/APosted on - 10/31/2012
I have just started learning Delphi 5. My boss wants me to connect and communicate with a device he gave me, through COM port.
The device didn't come with specifications and I have no idea how to start communicating with it! Where can I read about doing this and what is considered best-practice method to go about this?
COM port programming in delphi 5
It is difficult to programming with Delphi to access serial port as VB (MSComm) and I found serial port component for use to access serial port name TComPortwriten by Dejan Crnila though It also can use with Delphi 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and C++ Builder 3, 4, 5, 6. This is very helpful component for Delphi and C programmer.
In this article demonstration how to install for Delphi 6.0
1. Download TComPort component comport30.zip(Zipped file)
2. Extract the zipped file you will get the files like this :
3. Extract sources.zip
4. Go to sources folder and the double click file CPortLib6.dpk
Picture 2 Package window
5. Click Compile button it will generate new files in the same folder (sources) like this
Picture 3 New files after compiler CPortLib6.dpk
6. Copy all new files to Lib folder of installed Delphi (i.e. c:Program FilesBorlandDelphi6Lib)
7.Close Delphi then double click file DsgnCPort6.dpkin folder sources Delphi will open again and show Pagkagewindow
Picture 4 After double click DsgnCPort6.dpk
8. Click Compile then click Install the TComPort Component will installed and show in component palate
To use this component you should read from help file come with this component it very nice description for more confirmation look in: http://mc-computing.com/languages/delphi/delphi_serialio.htm