N/APosted on - 06/01/2017
Can anyone guide me through the step by step procedure to avoid this error called Microsoft SQL server error 18456 due to which I am unable to Login into my SQL server? I don’t know why I am facing again and again with this even after putting right credentials. Please help me.
Steps To Solve Microsoft SQL Server Error 18456 – Referring To Login Failed For User
The message showing Login Failed for User indicates that you must have entered invalid credentials while logging into the SQL server.
So here is the method to resolve this error:-
Firstly Log in your SQL server Management studio through an user account that doesn’t have any administrative permissions and then connect to the server. Usually, this is the default administrator or the user with which you login to the server when you have installed the SQL server.
1. Go to => Start => Server Management => Tools => Computer Management
2. Now expand Local Users and Groups and then click Users.
3. Try Logging onto the windows with the Built-in account for administering that has access to SQL Server so as to grant the rights to that user.
4. Now grant the rights to that user with which you want to access the SQL Server.
5. Launch SQL Server Management Studio again and now you will be capable to Connect to server.
6. Expand Server Name Security Login. Now right-click on Logins -> click New Login option.
7. Now click search button and type in the Username to add as an SQL Administrator for windows. And then click check names.
8. Next step includes clicking Server Roles on left side of the window and tick the ‘sysdmin’ and press ok.
9. Confirm the user rights by double clicking USERNAME in object explorer and click Securables.
10. Now log out of the windows and again login with the user to whom you have assigned the administrative rights.