N/APosted on - 05/16/2011
I don't know whether this is the correct category for my question but there is no "Desktop Hardware" category so I hope I won't get in to trouble.
I have a problem with an old desktop of mine. It is Compaq Desktop EN. Several months ago I've changed the operating system from Windows to Linux ( Fedora 7 ) but unfortunately after installation, the sound won't play at all. Everything else is working wonderfully and even smoother than when I was using Windows in the Compaq Desktop EN.
Apparently since it was quite an old desktop, the support for Compaq Desktop EN is no longer available so I have to find it on my own. I have asked help from several technicians but they only give the easy solution which is to replace the old one and buy a new one.
I have a new laptop but I still want to use the old desktop for my kids. It can even get connected to the internet and have plenty of games but the main problem is it cannot make even one tiny sound.
I have tried re-installing it since I thought it would make a difference but apparently it does not. Does anybody have experience in the same problem ? Any solution, anyone ?
Sound Missing on Compaq Desktop EN
Well! the problem you are facing with your Compaq computer and not getting any sound form it is a problem faced by some of the users of Compaq. Since your problem started after you reinstalled Windows, I have a doubt that there must be something wrong with your sound card form last setup, although this kind of problem should not occur. Here I’m giving you some of the possible solutions that might be helpful to you.
You have to see if all the necessary activates like installing necessary software are done after the windows setup*
1. First of all you need to see whether your computer is detecting your sound card form the last use. As you said you have a sound card.
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Device Manager
Expand the Sound, video and game controller’s category. If your sound card is listed then you have a sound card. If not then sound card is missing.
2. You need to know if your driver software is installed properly in your computer after the last setup.
Go to Start>Control Panel>add Hardware -"don't click next".
Computer will start scanning for installed hardware. Now you should see a icon. Then you need to install the driver software. It may work for you.
3. Uninstall your sound card driver software and install another one. But try not to download the latest version of your device software. Because most of the time the latest software doesn’t goes with the old sound card. So the sound card in that computer may not recognize the latest version software.
4. You have to make sure your speakers are plugged into a working power source and the switch is turned on. After adjusting them both you should hear the sound.
5. See if, your speakers are correctly connected to the computer. Whether the jacks of the speakers are plugged in to the right port of the computer.
6. Make sure the Volume manager is not put into mute. Please check other volume settings to see if any of them are put into mute.
Go to Start menu > Accessories > Volume Control and adjust the system volume control to see if it works or not.
7. If still you’re not able to get the sound, then disconnect your speakers from your computer and play some songs or something else to see if any sound comes from your boom box or not.
8. If all the solution doesn’t help you out then you may be required to show the computer to a expert for solution. Because seeing it physically would be easier to understand what’s going on?
Try them out. Hope for the best.
Sound Missing on Compaq Desktop EN
I think you have reset your computer to windows again. Check whether your have installed your Audio drivers on your computer. If there is an error (shown as below – Question mark) on audio device driver it says that you have not installed your drivers. Search driver for your computer in the internet and install them.
Sometimes it can be a fault in your sound card check your sound card and replace it.