N/APosted on - 09/22/2011
I have been trying to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 but am not getting any success. I have tried doing it through the control panel under Add/Remove programs but it remains in the system. I get an error message that saying that the un-installation was not complete. I want to roll back to Internet Explorer 6 so please help me on how to get rid of this Internet Explorer 8 out of my XP system.
I can’t uninstall Internet Explorer 8
If you are already running Windows XP Service Pack 3 then you should uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3 first before you can uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7 or 8.
This issue happens if you installed Windows Internet Explorer 7 or 8 first before you installed Windows XP Service Pack 3.
To uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3, please follow the steps below:
1. Click on Start> Run.
2. In the text box, type in appwiz. Cpl. You can also open Control Panel and then choose Add or Remove Programs.
3. A new windows should appear. Click or check on the option "Show Updates".
4. Click on Windows Service Pack 3 and then Click on Remove.
5. Click Finish to complete the removal process.
6. Restart your computer.
You should be able to see the Remove option on Windows Internet Explorer 7 or 8 now and you should be able to remove it and then restart your computer to complete the changes.
After the removal of Windows Internet Explorer 7 or 8. You need to install Windows Service Pack 3 again. Just make sure that you have Windows Automatic Updates turned on.
To check if Windows Service Pack 3 is installed, please follow the steps below:
1. Right-click on My Computer.
2. Click on Properties.
3. If you see Service Pack 3 on the Properties windows after your Windows XP performed the Automatic Update, that means Windows XP Service Pack 3 is installed again.