Yes you can create the mail merge by using the CRM 2011. You need to follow some steps for this process.
1. First of all you need to view in CRM by using advanced find to capture your mailing list. For example all open leads where status reason equals “sendApp”.
2. The second step is you should navigate your view in CRM and click the option “mail merge” which on the top mid of the CRM.
3. After that complete the mail merge screen by choosing “Blank document” and “adding the applicable data fields for the future use”.
4. Then press “enter key” and you will be able to open a copy of mail merge.
5. The fifth step will be enable editing and macros and navigate to the CRM button on the ribbon.
6. After that insert you logo, text and merge field then save the file as xml document so you can upload the file later.
7. Here is the final step and at this point you can merge and mail your letters, after complete mail you can create on demand work flow to update your records. And you can check here the process of workflows.
There is another way through you can create the mail merge in CRM 2011.
Hope this will help you.