Nowadays, browser hijackers are the most common threat to Macs. This malware can appear in any browser, including Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and else. Read our article to get the tiniest details about browser hijacker removal. Don’t let this persistent malware have any chance to attack your device! You will know how to say if your computer is infected by this virus, and receive the most effective tips for deleting it from the Mac.
Many people still think that Mac devices cannot be infected by computer viruses but this is not true at all. Any type of computer can be attacked. Lately, hacker attacks on Mac devices have even increased, that’s why it’s important to know the main types of threats and understand the most effective ways on how to protect your computer from viruses, including browser hijacking. Read more details in the next paragraph.
What is Hijacking?
Browser hijackers get on the computer with any other software during downloading. After it appears on your device, it grabs a browser under control. Hijackers are special programs made by experienced hackers. First of all, this malware will change a browser’s homepage and search engine. It depends on the preferences the hacker made for a certain hijacker. Thanks to this malware, the hacker can monitor all your clicks and searches you make on your Mac.
This data can be used later to create adverts. Some hijackers include toolbars with offers and coupons for various online websites to shop things. But in reality, this is a fake that invites a user to click on certain links. If you do this, you’ll be taken on a suspicious site. Some hijackers can download unknown files on your computer that will help a hacker to monitor your clicks and steal some important data from your Mac. As an example, many Mac users experienced a software keylogger on their devices that recorded their bank details. Needless to say, hijackers can be very dangerous because you may lose your important information, personal data, and even money.
Hijacker Popular Examples
These are some well-known hijackers you may notice on the computer. Many of these malware have names that sound like popular extensions:
● Time Search Now
● Booking app
● Pitch of Case
● Search Quick
Any of these or other hijackers can sneak onto any device with any software or updates (for example, like Flash Player). When they appear on the Mac, they can change a homepage and search engine. If you’ve noticed something unusual while surfing the Internet, this can be a sign you have got a hijacker on this device. In the next paragraphs, we’ll tell you how to detect this virus and delete it from the Mac effectively and fast.
Why Does Someone Want to Hijack My Computer?
Why do hackers hijack your Mac? When you surf the Internet and visit various sites, this can give hackers various information and even a great chance to make some money on it. Needless to say, hackers can make hijackers just for fun or to increase their status in the community. But of course, the most common reason for cybercriminals is money. Most hackers create various malicious programs to steal confidential information and make more money.
In fact, there are some goals for why hackers use hijackers:
● To get personal data from people without them knowing.
● To steal money using stolen passwords, logins, etc.
● To display annoying advertising on a user’s device.
● To take someone’s Mac under control remotely.
Hijackers are quite persistent programs that are difficult to delete completely from any device. Sometimes you can find this program on your computer and remove it, but some files can still appear in the file system. It means the hijacker can be activated again and cause problems to the user.
How to Avoid Hijackers?
As we already said, hijackers may appear on any device when a user downloads something from the Internet. It means that they cannot get on your Mac without a user’s action. For example, a person clicks a link or presses a download button, and only then the process of downloading malware on their computer starts! That’s why we suggest being very careful and follow the next recommendations to avoid hijackers on your device:
● Do not click any weird links in unknown emails if you are not sure this is a reliable link that leads to a safe site.
● Do not respond to any pop-ups with various ads that provide you with a message about whether your computer needs to be updated or the system must be repaired.
● Do not download any applications from websites that offer it for free or websites that have their own download manager. This is a high risk that you may get hijackers during downloading something from this site.
● Never open or download any suspicious attachments in any unknown email until you know it’s safe.
● Always keep your computer’s OS updated. This will increase the chances to protect the device from malware.
● Download reliable antivirus software and scan the computer automatically to give no chances to hijackers to appear on your device!
4 Ways to Delete Browser Hijackers From Your Mac
If you already have got this virus on the device, needless to say, a question is how to get rid of it successfully. Please try these actions:
● Check out all the plugins, add-ons, and browser’s extensions on the Mac to make sure that you’ve deleted all the suspicious or those you don’t use or never installed before.
● If you have found that your browser’s homepage was changed, go to settings and reset it. Sometimes, this simple thing helps to stop the attack without wasting time.
● Try to clear the DNS cache of a Mac’s system. This can be helpful if you got a hijacker on a browser.
● Use a reliable antivirus program for the full scanning of your Mac regularly. It will help to get rid of viruses, including hijackers. It’s the most effective way to keep a Mac clean from viruses!
How Will I Know that My Mac is Infected?
Even if you’re not a professional in computers, there are some signs of hijacking a browser on your device, and we guarantee it will not stay unnoticed for every user. Read about the most common symptoms below and pay your attention to your Mac if you have noticed at least one of them:
● Your Mac needs more time to load web pages. You may think it’s because of an unstable Internet connection but this problem is getting really persistent. It’s a sign that you’ve got a hacker software on the device that already took a browser under its control. Without doubts, the wisest decision is to check your device with an antivirus program that will help to get rid of viruses.
● When you use a browser, many various ads appear lately. You spend time closing all those pop-up windows and it is getting so annoying. Unfortunately, it’s a high chance that you’ve got a hijacker that may cause all this nonsense. We suggest scanning a Mac for viruses immediately.
● Usually, people get to use a certain search engine but sometimes you may notice that it changes unexpectedly. You are 100% sure that you haven’t changed anything, and this is true because a hijacker did it instead of you. Please try to check the Mac for malware using a good antivirus. We are sure that you’ll find and delete some viruses.
● Unexpectedly, you may notice that your homepage was changed mysteriously. Who did this? If you know that you didn’t change any preferences, it can be a hijacker’s work. Needless to say, it’s better to download antivirus from a trustworthy site and scan the computer for various viruses.
Of course, it’s always better to prevent unpleasant situations with your Mac then searching for ways to get rid of malware and hijackers. That’s why installing a good computer antivirus can be a wise decision for both professional and newbie users of Macs. Please use only trustworthy sites to download any kind of software. Even if you heard somewhere that Macs don’t need any additional antivirus software, this is not true. Protect your device from hijackers and work on it without stress. Remember that it’s better to pay for a reliable program than lose your information or even money due to hacker attacks.
When you have installed antivirus software on your Mac, we recommend setting preferences to scan your device automatically. This will help you to detect and remove any kind of malware without stress and keep your device clean from viruses. A program will alert when it needs your attention for removing any suspicious apps or extensions on your computer. This will help to save your time and keep you updated about your Mac. Don’t give hackers any chance to get control of your browser and steal your personal information!