PTZ camera has become one of the most common types of cameras used nowadays. Although they look like ordinary devices on the outside, the design and functionality make them special. There are specific areas of our life in which PTZ cameras have gained some recognition. Based on the specifics of the object of observation, such devices are preferable to traditional cameras in the mode of dynamic observation of the object. One such video camera, having the possibility of round-the-clock surveillance with a 360° view, can replace several conventional static video cameras. In this article, we will explain what a PTZ camera means and what are its advantages and disadvantages.
What is a PTZ Camera?
The abbreviation PTZ stands for Pan/Tilt/Zoom. This refers to a certain type of video camera, which are called PTZ video cameras.
These cameras can be both manually and automatically rotated up to 360 °, as well as zoom in and out. Thanks to this, one camera of this type can replace several cameras at once, directed in different directions.
To control PTZ cameras manually, a special remote control is used with a joystick and buttons that allow you to switch to various camera functions.
Like conventional cameras, PTZ devices have various sensors: motion, noise, lens closure, etc. These cameras also have infrared illumination for shooting at night. PTZ cameras themselves are divided into outdoor and indoor, digital and analog, case, dome, and hemispherical.
Benefits of PTZ Cameras
Let’s consider the main benefits of the best PTZ camera:
- Covers a large area. Such cameras are able to rotate vertically and horizontally, so users will be able to see much more of the area that is happening around.
- It is possible to zoom in on small details. With the help of such cameras, you can remove and zoom in on objects in frames. Management is carried out using programs, mobile applications, and browsers. Optical PTZ zoom camera models allow you to zoom in and out without compromising picture quality.
- The presence of the Preset function. In addition to the basic controls, turn left, right, and tilt are added, and in some models, there are additional functions such as Preset, which makes it possible to switch to pre-set positions.
- Tour function. With this function, the user can set the route of the PTZ camera to automatically patrol the desired areas at a preset speed.
- Usability. Once the PTZ cameras automatically monitor the areas you wish to control, the user will not need to personally change their positions. The user will be able to control tilt, pan, and zoom using a mobile application, software, or browser.
- Saving. Considering that a single camera of this type is sufficient for large areas, it will not be necessary to purchase a large number of devices, which significantly reduces the level of costs, including installation costs.
- Implementation of different ways of reacting to alarm events.
Disadvantages of PTZ Cameras
However, PTZ cameras also have disadvantages, namely:
- The cost is several times higher than conventional video cameras;
- The need for maintenance. Due to the complexity of the equipment, as well as a large number of moving parts, the failure rate and wear and tear of PTZ camera components are quite high. Therefore, they require preventive maintenance and frequent repairs;
Lack of standards, when each manufacturer of PTZ cameras offers its own software that is not compatible with competitors’ programs. Therefore, for the organization of video surveillance systems, it is impossible to use cameras of different brands, but this does not matter in case you need a PTZ camera for churches.
The disadvantages of such cameras are understandable and quite expected. Therefore, with the correct design of video systems and a sober assessment of the possibilities, they do not play an important role.
As you can see, a PTZ camera for live streaming is a real innovation that can please the user with effective video surveillance at large facilities. Until recently, they have been an expensive luxury. However, thanks to technological progress, many design solutions have shown a sharp price reduction and, as a result, smart, automatic devices have become available to the average mass consumer. With the right design of a video surveillance system – PTZ cameras are able to realize their full positive potential.