N/APosted on - 09/28/2012
I want to reformat my PC. I have Windows XP running on my Acer laptop. My friend has a bootable DVD of a Windows 7 operating system. I think I can save money if I can just use his copy of the Operating System, but for some reason, my friend doesn’t want me to bring the DVD outside the vicinity of his office, SO the only solution here is to convert bootable dvd to usb. I already bought a 4 GB USB but I don’t know the steps on how to convert DVD into the USB. How can I extract the files from DVD and copy it to my USB?
Steps on how to convert bootable dvd to USB
Hi Jai, There are various softwares to make a bootable pen drive for installations like win 2 flash etc. But they need virtual images of original cd to make usb bootable. There is also a manual way to make a bootable usb for windows 7. First you require following:-
1. usb minimum 4gb space
2. windows dvd
Now for whole process you should follow following steps:-(Note: all steps to be done with administrator rights)
1. plug-in usb
2. Goto Start -> All Programs -> Accessories ->Windows Command prompt
3. type DISKPART
4. LIST DISK
(this will show you the available hard disks connected, based on size of your flash note the number following it)
5 type SELECT DISK 1 (if 1 is the number showing usb)
6. now execute following commands one by one:
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
(now close it )
7. Insert the windows cd and note drive letter (e.g. C, D, E, F, G)
8. Again open command prompt and run following
BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 F:
(NOTE: F: is your USB drive letter and E is the drive letter for cd rom, you should change it with your pc drives name)
9. Directly copy/paste the cd files into usb drive by opening the cd rom.
10. Now usb is ready. Don't forget to change the boot priority setting in your BIOS setting.
make USB your 1st priority.
Hope it helps 🙂