N/APosted on - 08/18/2013
My questions is pretty simple and complicated at the same time. I need Visio 2003 drivers for SQL Server 2008 but please don't just give me a link, and tell me that I can download them from there. Explain to me exactly how do these drivers work, and are they doing for me in SQL Server 2008. I have no idea where to get them, so please give me some step by step instructions and details about there. Thank you for your help.
Need Visio 2003 drivers for SQL Server 2008 with instructions
Drivers are small software programs, responsible for compatibility with hardware, software and operating system. In case of Visio, the drivers are the communication media between the Visio 2003 and SQL server 2008.
Basically, Visio 2003 drivers have two drivers:
1. ODBC Driver ( 32-bit ODBC driver)
2. Generic OLE DB Provider Driver
These drivers act as the access point to server Database, which further enables you to perform DBMS-specific Functionality (re-engineer, view and store tables) through your Visio software. These drivers are installed automatically by Visio setup program. The driver works specifically with the Database Model Diagram template and the Microsoft ODBC Data Access Pack.
You can check the drivers installed on your system by navigating the Menu Database>Options>Drivers.
In this case the Visio Database driver should target the SQL server 2008.
As far as your question related to downloading the Visio 2003 drivers, you can opt to use the generic driver, entirely surpassing the ODBC driver, else select the ODBC driver. Following are the steps:
1. Navigate to the Database menu in Microsoft Office Visio, then Options> Drivers.
2. Look for a default driver for Visio, select the driver which would associate with an ODBC driver, and then setup.
3. Select a 32-bit ODBC driver under the ODBC driver tab to associate with the Visio driver you selected. Choose a 32-bit ODBC database driver that supports SQL Server 2008.
4. Click OK to close all open dialog boxes.