N/APosted on - 10/29/2012
Hi iPhone Experts,,
After creating a backup in iTunes I tried to update my GSM iPhone 4 from iOS 401 to 5.0.1 and it crashed during the update. iTunes says it detects the phone but can only do an restore and update to fix it.
The current problem is I told iTunes to do the restore and get 5.0.1 installed but this message came up: “The iPhone could not be restore. An unknown error occurred (3194).”
I selected the “more information” button and the apple support website advise me that to “resolve error 3194 by updating to the latest version of iTunes. This device is not eligible for the requested build" in the updater logs confirms this is the root of the issue. For more Error 3194 steps see: This device is not eligible for the requested build above."
I do have the most up-to-date version of iTunes so any suggestions on how to fix this please?
Thanks in advance.
Need help to restore GSM iPhone 4
This solution might help:
– The first thing you should do if iTunes is running, Quit iTunes
-Disconnect your iPhone to the computer
– then you have to locate the file named “hosts”,
* In Mac OS X this is: /etc/hosts
* In Windows this is: c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
– Open the file named “hosts” as administration. (Right click the file then select run/open as administration)
– Type/copypaste the following line to the very bottom part of the data in the file named hosts:
– Connect your iPhone to the computer
-Make the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode
*turn off your iPhone.
*Press and Hold down the sleep and power button in 10 seconds.
*Release the power button but continuously hold down the home button until iTunes signals that the device is in Recovery mode.
– in iTunes, click into your iPhone icon, go to Settings > restore/update (as usual with the IOS device)
-After updating your IOS device, go again to the file named “hosts” then delete the “18.104.22.168 gs.apple.com” that you have added earlier.
And that’s it.
Hope it’ll help.