Black Background on Windows Vista Computer
One of the best fixes to this is to reset your desktop settings:
1. Click on the Start Orb then go to Control Panel.
2. Choose Appearance and Personalization.
NOTE: You can also right-click on your desktop then chooses Personalize.
3. When you are at the Personalization window, on the left side under Tasks, choose Change Desktop Icons.
4. There will be check boxes there that lets you select which icons you want to be visible. Otherwise, you can just click on the Restore Default button.
5. Click on Apply when you're done.
6. Reboot your computer to have the settings take effect.
You can also re-create your desktop shortcuts by going to your Program files.
1. Click on the Start orb then choose My Computer.
2. Double-click on your C: drive.
3. Go to the Program Files folder.
4. Choose the folder that you want to access, for example, Plants vs Zombies.
5. Look for the .exe file label as an application.
6. Right-click on it then choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut). You should see the icon on your desktop.
7. Continue doing the same steps for your other software.
You are having some corrupted entries in your Registry. Easiest way to solve these issues is to restore your computer to earlier restore point.
Follow instructions on images:
1) Go to START.
2) Type: "system restore".
3) Click to "System Restore" service.
4) Select "Choose a different restore point" and click "Next" button.
5) Tick box "Show more restore points", and select from the list one that was older than when you went on vacation. Click "Next" button.
6) If you selected proper restore point, click "Finish", and wait for Windows to complete the process (it will last couple of minutes, and your system will be restarted).