N/APosted on - 07/12/2014
I need your help on the a strange issue with my HP Envy Notebook. It was on, I attached adapter to it for battery charging. For some reasons, it shut down automatically. I tried to power it on but failed. I asked my friend to help. He suggested me to try powering it on after removing battery; unfortunately, it did not work.
I do not understand what could be the problem. Can anyone explain the reason and resolution it?
Many thanks in advance.
HP Envy suddenly shut down, unable to power it on
Hi Bob T Smith,
I am sorry to hear that you are facing these inconveniences. The problem you are experiencing may be caused by caused by a faulty charger, a failed motherboard or a faulty battery.
Here are some steps to take in order to troubleshoot and fix your problem:
Solution One: Power Cycle the laptop
1. Remove the battery from the laptop and also unplug the charger.
2. Press and hold the 'Power' button for about 3 minutes.
3. After 3 minutes, release the 'Power' button and connect the charger to the laptop.
4. Once you have plugged in the charger, 'Power On' the laptop by pressing the 'Power' button.
5. If the laptop comes on, then it means there is a problem with your Battery, It may need to be replaced.
Note: If this did NOT solve your problem, proceed to solution two.
Solution Two: Testing the charger.
1. Here you would need to borrow an identical from someone with a laptop similar to yours. You may also purchase a replacement charger.
2. Connect the replacement charger to your laptop and try powering it on. If it powers on, it means that your original charger is faulty and needs replacement.
3. If the replacement charger doesn't work while the battery is in the laptop, then remove the battery and try again.
If your problem is not resolved by now, your laptop may have some serious technical problems.
Solution Three: Return Laptop to Dealer/Manufacturer
If the above steps did not resolve your problems, you may need to return the unit to the manufacturer for replacement. Ensure that you bring along with you your receipt and identification card.
If the unit is covered under warranty, it may be replaced/repaired at no cost to you. If not, you may be required to pay for the cost of repairs. Please speak to the representative at the store to hear best procedure.