N/APosted on - 03/11/2013
I am using Windows XP in my system and need a small technical clarification from my Techyv friends. Please explain me about how to recover Windows event log, also let me how whether it's possible to clear the event logs, if so how to do it. Finally, can we recover the event logs that were removed from the system.
How to recover Windows Event Log
– In order to recover Windows Event Log, you need first to save the event logs to your desktop or you can restore event log from backups previously made by backup and recovery management software.
1. First I'll show you how to save event logs;
– Open the Event Viewer.
– Select the logs you want to save (You can save the whole Log).
Or you can select certain events to be saved.
You can save the log or the events in the following extensions;
– Log-file format (.evt /.evtx ), Text-file format (.txt), XML file (.xml) and Comma-delimited text-file format (.csv).
To open your previously saved events select Open Saved Log.
2. To restore event log from backups previously made by backup and recovery management software:
"Tivoli Storage Manager" from IBM: is a good backup and recovery management software and allows you to perform various actions regarding the restore process.
It provides a command line interface (CLI) that you can use as instead of the graphical user interface (GUI).
From the CLI you can recover the event log by using the command "restore eventlog" which will Restore Windows XP event logs from the Tivoli Storage Manager server.
Tivoli Storage Manager
Tivoli on Wikipedia
– It's possible to clear the event logs and here is how to do it:
1. Right Click on the log you want to clear and select "Clear log".
2. You will have the option to save it before you clear it or just clear the log.
3. Now it's clear.