The error code usually starts with “Error:0xxxxxx” and this is what helps us identify the problem more accurately and efficiently. Is there a possibility that the error you are encountering is “Error: 0x004d401”?
If this is true, then the full error message is: “Windows Activation”. This indicates a problem with your license and that is the reason why you aren’t receiving any notifications regarding your license or activation.
To fix this type of problem, you need to do any of the following below:
The security processor reports a system file mismatch error.
Option (These are the selectable options available for this error.)
The product must be validated online
To help solve this problem, contact Microsoft.
Please follow the steps below where you have the exact error or not. This will help solve the problem you are encountering:
1. Update your Operating System by visiting the Microsoft Website. This will be dependent on your OS Version but updates will be free of charge and this will not present any problems.
2. Uninstall any recent program, software, application, or game that has been installed before the error occurred. Afterwards, restart the computer and verify if the issue is resolved.
3. You can choose to do a system restore. The restore point to be chosen should be on the day that the error is not yet present or the computer was at its best.
4. As you are already using Vista, there might be some applications that are not anymore compatible with your OS. Please update the applications if you receive notifications that an update is available.
5. Please make sure that you are the using the administrator account before you start to validate your OS product online. Microsoft will not permit any other accounts when validating your OS.
6. Verify if you have Spyware Doctor 4.0 on your computer. If yes, uninstall it immediately and restart the computer. Then, see if the problem is still present.
7. You will not be able to access your Control Panel’s Add/Remove icon if you are experiencing a “lock down” due to the fact that you can’t uninstall a program. Skip this one and proceed to number 10.
8. Have you upgraded your OS to a different version like “Ultimate” for the duration of 4 years of using the computer? You will have to contact Microsoft if you have done this one.
9. If you are receiving a message: “Your copy of Windows is not genuine”, run SLUI.exe and enter your serial key of the OS. This must be done with the administrator account.
10. You can go and get help from Microsoft to provide support to your problem. They are working on a 24-72 hours wait time for them to get back to your query and this is free of charge. They will be helping you proactively if you have a genuine copy of Vista OS.