N/APosted on - 07/07/2014
The screen on my Dell Studio 1747 laptop is showing colors and I am getting beep codes. I checked the power adapter and it seemed fine. There is power on the laptop but nothing shows on the screen except for the colors. What is wrong with my laptop? Please help.
Colors flashing on screen of Dell Studio laptop
Hi Deborah Clink
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. Normally this means there is a display failure.
In order to troubleshoot this issue you will need the following items:
1. A standard VGA cable (pictured below)
2. A standard VGA Desktop monitor (shown below)
You would need to connect another working monitor to your laptop to test it.
1. Connect one end of the VGA cable to the VGA port on the monitor (pictured below)
2. Connect the other end to the VGA port on your laptop
3. Press and hold the fn key and and the f7 key on your laptop keyboard.
4. While holding these keys, power on your laptop.
5. Pay keen attention to the monitor.
If the screen (external) displays properly, then your laptop screen needs replacing.
If not, there may be deeper issues which need to be resolved by a certified technician.
Contact manufacturer for replacement.