N/APosted on - 12/03/2014
I am simply not able to manage numberings in my word document. My articles require a complex labelling pattern and manually doing this is getting too complicated and time consuming. Is it possible to auto number the headings in a MS word document? Under which tab, do I find an option for this?
Can I auto number my headings in MS word?
Yes you can do auto numbering your heading. The steps are as bellows.
1) Go to home button and under paragraph section click multilevel list which is just beside bullet point setup button.
2) On click a list will appear, click define a new list style, it is the last point of the list.
3) On click that a screen will come, give a name of the style.
4) Click Format button on the left down corner of screen and select numbering.
5) On numbering screen select 1 on click level to modify field and then select Heading 1 in Link level to style drop down.
6) Under enter formatting for number field you can enter Chapter, or Section or Part that will come before number as a constant. Select a number style from number style for this level like 1,2,3 or I,II,III as your wish.
7) This is done for level one, similarly you can do for 2nd 3rd 4th and more level setup as per your wish, please refer the images attached.