N/APosted on - 05/09/2012
I have an Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit Operating System.
I have installed Avast on it but I would get an error whenever I open the application.
"An error occurred in Avast! Engine: Invalid argument"
I have no idea what the error means and I need to know how I can access Avast.
I appreciate your replies.
Avast cannot be opened in Ubuntu 9.10
Dear Ma Mckinney,
Avast is a potent antivirus offers a free desktop edition for Linux. Here is some procedure to install avast on ubuntu.
1. Go to avast website. http://www.avast.com/index
2. Download the .deb package.
3. After download has completed, you need to double click the .deb and then click on Install package.
4. The system will prompt you for password and then installation should be started.
5. If you’d like to use the command line on the task, open o terminal and change to the directory where the new .deb file is saved.
6. Adjust the name of .deb package you just downloaded. (adjust to > sudo dpkg – I avast4workstation_1.0.8-2_i386.deb)
7. Now register with avast.
8. To register go to the link. http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php or go by using avast website.
9. Fill the form.
10. You will get the registration code in your email which is provided by you during registration.
11. Go to the mail and find avast mail.
12. Open a new terminal and enter the following command – avastgui
13. A menu pops up promoting you for your registration key. Paste the registration key from email and click OK.
14. Now click the button to update the virus database. Once the database update complete you can select from various option and run a scan.
I hope my answer will solve your problem. Thank you.