If you have ever been thinking of hosting your website on the internet but are unaware of its working and confused with the types, this article is meant for you.
Web hosting is a service that puts your website and makes it available for the users worldwide. All you need to do is buy some space on a web server (high-powered computers) and store your Web Pages there.
A computer with very high specifications connected to the internet through a link. The web hosting companies are all about managing these servers and its software, security, speed, etc.
Domain name is your company’s internet address just like its street address. Gmail.com is the domain name for Gmail. When the user types your web address, the Internet will connect to the web server containing your files and information will be transferred to his computer.Different customers have different requirements, so different types of web hosting are available, and your can choose any of them as per your needs. You can even migrate to a different hosting plan with the growth in your website.
SHARED WEB HOSTING:
In shared web hosting one physical server is present, and its resources are shared by multiple websites with each of them having its Internet Domain name. Being widely used by the companies, this is the simplest, most economical and least expensive type of web hosting. The web server is logically distributed to accommodate, serve and operate more than one websites. Alternate name for shared hosting is ‘Virtual Shared Hosting’.
It is recommended for websites that are smaller in size, small or medium sized business sites, sites that don’t have a huge amount of traffic, sites having lower security concerns and that require a highly cost-effective solution.
Pros of Shared hosting:
- It is cheaper as you don’t need to pay for the whole server upfront. This advantage has turned out to be the decisive factor for most buyers.
- It is simpler to use. You don’t have to do any maintenance on the server when running your applications.
Cons of Shared Hosting:
- Every user has some restrictions on their service and resources. You can experience the worst hosting experience if any other user on the same shared server uses a lot of traffic or CPU cycles.
- The companies maintain the shared resources in a way that aims to satisfy the majority of clients’ needs.
Shared Web hosting is like sharing a living area with many people where you have the ease to get your rent and services shared but at the same time, you have to adjust with them by sharing the resources.
DEDICATED WEB HOSTING:
Just like it sounds, dedicated hosting offers you the resources and capabilities of an entire server exclusively without sharing. In a dedicated system, the server provides a prefixed amount of memory, hard disk space, and bandwidth to you along with administration and you will have total control over the server. Colocation is a service provided by some hosts which allow your company to purchase and install your computer server at the host provider’s location.
With so much power available to the client, dedicated hosting performs better and is more secure and reliable than any other hosting plans.
Pros of Dedicated Web Hosting:
- Highly secure as all resources on the server are allocated to a single client.
- More flexible regarding changing and updating software.
- It is suitable for websites of companies and organizations.
Cons of Dedicated Web Hosting:
- The main drawback is the hefty monthly payment in exchange for the freedom and hosting.
- If the hosting is unmanaged, the services will take a deal of time and money to maintain as compared to another hosting.
- It lacks free scripts and other additional features that those on a shared server have access.
Dedicated Web hosting is like owning a living area where you have access to all the resources and facilities but need to pay a profound amount of money every month.
This is like a wholesale business of web hosting where an individual or company will purchase the host services, utilize the resources of the parent web hosting company, own it and sell it for possibly a profit. Reseller packages are available with most of the web hosting companies.
Pros of Reseller Web Hosting:
- Reseller Hosting is delivered on a Virtual Private Server (VPS).You get a dedicated server and can divide and modify according to your requirement.
- Hosting gives you complete control to offer any size plans, manage their servers, pricing and host an unlimited number of websites.
- If you need multiple SSL certificates or multiple IP addresses, you must choose a Reseller account with some additional payment.
Cons of being a Reseller:
- If you don’t have enough clients to provide service to, this will be very expensive for you.
- Being a reseller means constant responsibility for the service you provide. So. You need to provide a 24hr service to the clients.