In the recent survey reports, it was said that almost 90% of the work on PC’s was carried out through the Internet. So, with the latest technical advancements and growing necessities, an invention was laid down by the Google Corp; making the Chrome browser as the backbone OS for their latest laptop called the Google Chromebook. With it, solutions for all your desires were met. The Chromebook was launched in the market by the Google Corp. and its partners.
What is a Chromebook?
Chromebook is a laptop, which runs on an entirely different OS than the existing Windows or MAC OS. Chromebook is powered by Google’s Chrome OS. This OS uses the features of Chrome browser, and all its operations can be run through Chrome OS only. It is developed based on Linux operating system. So, as it operates entirely through Chrome browser, Internet connectivity is essential for these devices. An active Wifi connectivity or 3G is required.
The Chromebook facilitates users with Cloud storage to store all their stuff. Unlike the conventional laptops, these Chromebooks have very low internal storage space. All the storage requirements can be met through cloud storage. Google provides free 100GB cloud storage space to each Chromebook device. So because of this reduced memory, the components required was less and eventually, the cost and size of the device will also reduce.
Features of Chromebook:
The features of Chromebook are as follows
- These Chromebooks are light in weight, portable, durable and cheaper.
- It works on Chrome OS which is based on Linux and Google Chrome browser. Because of this, all features of Chrome browser are incorporated with it.
- Storing of data in this laptop was based on Cloud storage. About 100GB of Cloud space is available for every Chromebook.
- The battery life of Chromebook is pretty high compared to other conventional laptops. This is because it contains fewer components compared to the conventional devices.
- It can also work Offline. Almost 200 offline apps can be accessed such as Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc.
- Another added feature is, Chromebook starts in seconds, and it is very fast compared to Windows and MAC PCs.
- It only has a single icon on its home page, which is Google Chrome and clicking on it will give you access to the Chromebook.
- The RAM size of Chromebook is 2GB and 4GB (optional).
- Although these are based on Google OS, permissions are also provided to work on some of Microsoft’s applications using Google Drive such as Word, Excel, etc.
Advantages of Chromebook:
Chromebook has many interesting advantages, which attracts the users who care about the budget. The following advantages are stated below:
- The cost of Chromebooks is much cheaper compared to the conventional laptops. Because there are no heavy storage devices attach to it such as the hard disk drive (for some models).
- Durability is high and portable.
- The risk of data loss is almost zero even during damages because all your data are stored in Cloud storage.
- As the data is stored in your Google’s cloud account, you can access it from any device, anytime.
- Its keyboard, screen size and chipset are more advantageous and attracting.
RAM: Basically, Chromebooks are available in 2GB or 4GB RAM (optional).
Internal storage: Primarily, it is provided with 16GB and 32GB internal storage. Other manufacturers like Acer, Lenovo, etc. are also providing a 64GB model.
Screen size: The Chromebooks are available in different screen sizes starting from 11.6 inches up to 13, 14 and 15 inches as well.
Battery backup: Chromebooks have good battery lifetime of about 9 hours to 14 hours whereas other conventional devices can able to last up to 7 hours only.
Apart from all the satisfying features, Chromebooks also has some limitations. Some of them are the following:
- These Chromebooks are not able to satisfy the needs of Adobe Photoshop users. The alternative for this is made, but it is not very satisfactory.
- As this is incorporated with the basic processor, high-resolution 3D games will lag and can experience unexpected behavior.
- Some of the other special features like Bluetooth and printing do not work well.
- The screen resolution is not HD.
Apart from some disadvantages, these Chromebooks attracted many users with their advantageous features. This product from Google is very much suitable for the budget-friendly and online users rather than the conventional Windows or MAC PCs.